Quite simply, telemedicine is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I’m serious! The dictionary definition sounds a little too clinical and impersonal: “the remote diagnosis and treatment of patients by means of telecommunications technology.” In fact, telemedicine is quite personal! To put it in simpler terms, telemedicine is accessing healthcare—like seeing a doctor, dermatologist, or speaking with a therapist—from your phone, tablet, or laptop. The way I see it, telemedicine means being able to go to the doctor without having to get out of bed—and if you’re feeling under the weather, who wants to get out of bed? That aspect is very appealing to me. Because if you think about it, you’re not just getting out of bed: you’re getting dressed, getting in the car, driving to and from, waiting in a waiting room … you get the idea.
The list of benefits to telemedicine goes on and on, but to save time I’ll highlight my favorites.
- Telemedicine is available in all languages, including sign language. (Did I mention telemedicine includes phone calls AND video calls?). If you hate going to the doctor because English is not your first language, and you feel most comfortable telling your most personal business to someone who can fully understand you, then telemedicine is for you!
- You can also have prescriptions written and filled for you via telemedicine. That saves you a few hours of an afternoon that would have otherwise been spent sitting in a doctor’s office so they can see you before they fill that prescription you’ve been taking without issues for the past decade.
- Telemedicine is also a good way to get colds handled. A cold is really just annoying, and every time I get a cold I tell myself “It will be over soon, just take Ibuprofen.” But it doesn’t make it less awful to be sick. The last time I had a cold, I called a doctor using 24x7DoctorCall and sent them a picture of the back of my throat and they told me what I should take to make my symptoms more manageable. If you’re like me and don’t know much about over-the-counter medicine, then telemedicine is for you. I’d rather spend $14.99 a month for easy access to healthcare then stand in a grocery store, sick as a dog, trying to figure out what medicine to take.
- It’s available 24/7. If you’ve ever woken up at 3 a.m. with a fever so bad you’re shivering, then telemedicine is for you! 24x7DoctorCall’s services are available 24/7, and there are always plenty of doctors available to help you.
- It goes where you go. If you’ve ever been on vacation and gotten ill your very first day, then telemedicine is for you! No matter where you are in the U.S., you can call a doctor and have a prescription sent to a pharmacy near you. Goodbye misery, hello vacation.
These are just a few of the reasons I am a telemedicine fan. Look for more in the days ahead. Be well!
Comments are closed.